Monday, November 24, 2008

A Rainbow in the Darkness

Books are more powerful than anything else in the world; the key to unlock our prisons. I consider myself to be lucky because it only took me twelve years to find the ice axe to break the frozen sea; I’m not gullible enough to be sucked into this illusion anymore. I appraise Stephenie Meyer for she has a well-sharpened ice axe. Her book Twilight helped me open my eyes and un-freeze my sea. It is so cleverly written that it has opened the eyes of thousands, and has made people fall in love with a fictional character, Edward Cullen. Stephenie Meyer explores so much with romance, heroes, journeys and most importantly, courage. Bella, one of the protagonists in the story, explores herself and finds out who she really is. She goes on a journey to seek the truth behind a mysterious boy, Edward Cullen. It takes courage to stay with him even after finding out he’s a vampire, and it takes more courage to love him. The ideas behind the book relate so much to teenagers’ lives; exploring one’s self, romance, idolizing people, journeys, friendships, and courage. In addition, the vocabulary is so strong it has enhanced mine more than I am able to measure. Twilight is so beautifully written, such a sharp ice axe that all the creatures of my sea are swimming, the colors are there to give the sea its spark, the rhythm a lullaby.

I am now able to imagine creatures, things, which I would not have been able to concoct before reading her book. Sometimes, in my dreamiest days, I ask myself, what if? Can we control our darker sides? Why can’t there be vampires or werewolves? But the science of it all comes in, and then I know why it can’t be. That doesn’t matter though; the beauty of it all is that I was able to consider it to be true for a moment. The book has influenced me so well, I now write differently, aware of the techniques I use in my pieces of writing. I even talk a little differently now, sometimes thinking of other words to dazzle my friends. Stephenie Meyer created a rainbow in my prison, and it shines so brightly, it grows bigger and brighter everyday until soon enough my prison will be a prison no more, and the darkness will vanish.

Thus, the picture of the rainbow over the sea symbolizes how a book alone can provide us with so much. Even though the sea is not literally frozen, it is still a dark day in which the rainbow provides so much light, so much life. The sea may not be frozen because the ice axe has chipped a little bit of it, and only the surface moves. Meaning that in this case, one may have read an interesting book and has opened his or her eyes to more possibilities but much doubt still exists. And so the person reads another book, creating a light in the darkness which may keep on setting them free from the dullness of life, until everything is moving and there is so much light, doubt does not linger anymore in the person. In the end, all it takes is a book to break the frozen sea within us. One book to make a rainbow on a dull day.

No comments: